Wednesday, September 8, 2010

the end of summer

Usually, when it comes to 3-day weekends, Trevor and I don't plan very well.  We typically spend the weekend at home, cooped up with our 4 kids doing chores and breaking up fights.  We always say that we need to do something fun.  We just have a hard time of following through!

This past Friday night, Trevor and I were out to dinner (I can not believe that we can finally leave our kids home alone for a couple of hours!) when he looked at me and questioned (after letting out a big sigh), "What are we going to do tomorrow?"  I immediately began thinking of all the things that needed to be done around the house when he followed with, "Why don't we go canoeing?"  Good answer.

We got up the next morning, ate breakfast, packed some lunches and headed up to Fort Ancient to the canoe outfitters.  We (the boys and I--Trevor is the expert canoe-er) spent the next few hours bickering on how to steer a canoe and get it unstuck from the many shallow areas along the river.  The kids froze their toushies off after getting in the cold water and Rachel screamed every time we got stuck, thinking we were going to tip.  I got to listen to all my kids tell me how much better Dad is at steering the canoe (this was my first trip down a river, Trevor used to make a living at it) and that they would much rather ride with him.  I think next time I will go with Trevor and let the kids fend for themselves in their own canoe (and we will pay the extra 5 bucks for a plastic canoe that never seems to get stuck)!  :)



What am I going to do when that girl is 14?  HELP!


He looks happy now...


Are we having fun yet?!


Rachel isn't so sure she's up for another canoe trip any time soon!

Sure enough, after these 4 photos (and about 30 minutes into our day) the camera battery died.  Leave it to us to have a dead battery and no back up!


Monday morning rolls around and, once again, we are completely unprepared for the day.  I kept thinking about everything we didn't accomplish around the house on Saturday (I know, such a stick in the mud), when Trevor proclaimed, "We're going biking today!" to which Hannah exclaimed, "Wow!  Two fun things in a row!"  Are we really that pathetic as parents?  So, we packed up the kids' bikes and a backpack full of water and headed out the door.  Jonathan saw our "other" camera sitting on the desk and grabbed it for us.  Timothy yelled out, "Make sure to grab extra batteries!"


I managed to click this one shot before, you guessed it, the camera went dead.  That's what we get for not listening to Timothy!

We ended up riding 15 miles (Hannah rode the whole thing on a too-small bike) and the kids explored in the river for sometime.  We ended the day with lunch at The Works and Hawaiian shaved ice, after which Jonathan declared this 3-day weekend "the best ever!"  I would have to agree.

Thanks, Trevor, for "planning" such a great weekend.


2 comments:

Reese said...

Way to go Becky.....I totally know what you are saying. I am pretty sure I could spend my whole life attempting to keep my house clean and imss out on all the other fun stuff. Good thing we have husbands who like doing fun things!

Anonymous said...

Howdy from the Reeds! Blast from the past! So, am I crazy, I think this sounds like a total blast! I love to just get up and do something. I just don't like the clean up or the mess we left behind that I will have to do later!

By the way, I saw your post on your remodel! WOW!!! Gorgeous!

Hope all is well! I am glad you are blogging again. It's fun to keep up with you and your family!

Take care, Lisa (and family)