Monday, January 19, 2009

Christmas Traditions

Aren't you so glad I'm stretching Christmas into the middle of January for you?

I have to admit, I'm the kind of gal that LOVES December 26th.  I get to take down all of the Christmas decorations and get my house back in or
der.  I have decided that next year I am going to limit the decorations to our tree, stockings and maybe an advent calendar for the kids.  I am NOT the type that loves decorating for Christmas.  All it does is cause me stress.

On that lovely note...

We don't have a lot of Christmas traditions in our household, but our favorite (of which I am lacking a picture) is turning out all of the lights in the house and reading a Christmas story each night under the lights of the Christmas tree.  The kids get to take turns picking a book out of the basket and I have to say I do like this one as it calms everyone down before bed!

At some point between Thanksgiving and Christmas, my kids insist we make a gingerbread house.  I think they don't like making the house as much as they love stuffing their faces with fists full of  candy!  I do love that I can pick up a "gingerbread house kit" at Costco and that I don't have to worry about doing any of it myself.  Presenting this year's version...





A full pound of Wonka candy.  Now that's something my kids get excited about!  Can I just ask what you're supposed to use Pixi-sticks for on a gingerbread house?!?





I guess Rachel came up with the answer...






This year the paste, I mean frosting, didn't work so well.  We had to keep readjusting the roof, which didn't work so well either.  We even tried to make some supports for it (as the box instructed--maybe Wonka knew about the faulty roof), but to no avail...

Apparently the kids didn't care too much.  I guess Rachel thought the rest of the candy belonged in the same place as the Pixi-sticks.  It certainly didn't make it onto the house!





The sad, pathetic, looks-like-it's-been-in-a-California-earthquake result...






Adding insult to injury, our hometeacher stopped by the next night with this beauty...





I'm sad to say it was completely homemade.  A project he completed with his 23 year-old son. Note the 4 Gene Simmons' ready to devour it at one fell swoop...






Since I know you haven't had enough, I am also crazy enough (simply because I feel the pressure from my darling husband) to make Christmas cookies with the kids.  This always makes for an interesting experience as it always makes a huge mess and induces fighting amongst my sweet children.  "I wanted that angel."  "How come she got the snowman?!" "Mom, he stole my sprinkles!"  Don't let this picture fool you...



No comments: