Monday, November 3, 2008

I've Made the Switch!

I’ve been thinking for some time now about switching to blogspot. First, I want to remove our last name from the blog. Second, I’m sick and tired of my comments not working (so, please leave lots of good, witty comments)! I miss the witty comments coming my way. Third, I want to be able to blog whatever is on my mind, whether I have a photo to go with my thoughts or not. It has taken me forever to switch pretty much for one reason only—I couldn’t come up with a new name. So, here is the story behind “three cups”.

Several months ago, my sister recommended a book to me that she had just finished reading. She thought Trevor and I would both love it. I thought it sounded great, but I thought, “I don’t ever have time to read anymore” and that was that. Then, the week before Trevor and I were leaving for California for my brother’s wedding, I was wandering through Target (maybe if I spent less time at Target I would actually have time to read!) and saw said book sitting there, staring at me. I picked it up and threw it in my cart thinking it would be a great read for our trip.

In the meantime, I had been trying to come up with a good name for my blog. Seems like everything I tried was already taken. I turned to my extremely creative and mostly humorous husband thinking he would come up with something immediately. No such luck.

So, there I was, sitting on our flight to California when I decided to pull out my new book and start to read. I read for awhile, then Trevor and I began to have a conversation. I can’t remember what it was about, only that somewhere in there I reminded him that he hadn’t given me any good ideas for a new name for my blog. He looked down at my book and said, “I have a great idea. Why don’t you call it ‘Three Cups of Tea’?” I looked at him like he was crazy and told him I couldn’t plagiarize and we didn’t even drink tea. He responded with a smirk, “How about ‘Three Cups of Herbal Tea’?”

The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. First of all, it was available. Secondly, no one would ever guess it’s meaning without an explanation and thirdly, it captures the essence of our love of travel and my intense desire to live out our retirement years doing humanitarian work. Not to mention, we consider so many of you, our friends, as family since we haven’t had family live near us in our almost 12 years of marriage.

No comments: