Friday, November 28, 2008

Happy Day-After-Thanksgiving










I'm still so new to blogspot...I'm having trouble getting my photos posted as I want them with my text. Why do they keep posting backwards? You know what I mean, right? Plus, I can't get my text to inter-mingle with the photos. Please help me, ANYONE! So, forgive the bunch of photos followed by the text. Once one of you smarty-pants out there gives me a clue, I can edit this and it will make some sense. Until then...

Yesterday was a great day! We started out early for the 99th Annual Thanksgiving Day 10K. The boys weren't very happy about it as Trevor told them that 10 kilometers is equal to 16 miles. I still can't believed that they fell for that one. The girls have been very excited and have been asking everyday when we would get to go to "the race". Maybe they were more excited because they knew there was a stroller involved? I am still amazed at how many people were there. We were looking for the highest bib number and saw 14,000 something. I tried to get some photos of the sea of people, but they just didn't do the scene justice! Amazingly enough, we ran into several friends there and even Jean Schmidt stopped to say hi. OK, really it was her daughter, Emilie, (she owns and runs the ballet studio where my girls attend) that recognized us.

Jonathan became excited once we were there and kept insisting that he wanted to run the whole thing. We kept warning him not to try and run too fast or he would become too tired too fast. I decided to jog with him and Trevor did his best to keep up for the first 2 miles (he was pushing the stroller and had Timothy to contend with). After we couldn't see Trevor and company behind us anymore, Jonathan and I decided to just keep going. I was very proud of him. He only walked 2 times--both when we were going uphill and just for a minute or two. For the last mile or so, I picked up the pace and he started to hurt. He kept saying, "Mom, I can't! I have to walk!" I just kept telling him to go another block and that we were almost there. Finally we turned the corner and could see the finish line. I thought he would take off in a sprint, but he was pretty dead. I encouraged him across the finish line and couldn't believe he jogged the whole thing! This morning he did complain that his legs were a bit "wobbly".

Poor Trevor. I guess around the 3 mile mark Rachel began to cry because she was cold. Trevor did his best to warm her up and even got her out of the stroller and carried her while pushing Hannah. Then, about a mile later, Hannah started to cry because she had to go to the bathroom. All the while, Timothy was complaining about the race, about how he was tired, about how stupid this idea was and how he wanted to stay home with a babysitter next year. I sure felt guilty about taking off with Jonathan when I heard what he was left with! It will be interesting to see what we decide to do next year. We'll either get a sitter for Timothy and the girls and just take Jonathan, or we'll repeat history by trying to convince ourselves that it will be different when in reality it will be just the same...

We had a fantastic afternoon feast with some friends to counter-balance all of those calories we burned off in the morning. We didn't think to take a picture until after we had all stuffed ourselves and who wants to see pictures of that? Once again, there is always next year...

2 comments:

Reese said...

Call me, I can help with the pictures...but only a bit.
Way to go on the race! I am impressed that you took the whole family down there. Maybe we will be able to do it in a couple of years. I think they really should do it the day after Thanksgiving when we all need it most and don't have heaps of food to prepare:)

little miss shortcake said...

i have spent many a post agonizing over the placement of my pics.
i think this worked - for a pc, you can drag your pics to where you want them, and on my mac, i can cut and paste.